Skip to main content

Thoughts During an Extremely Boring Chemistry Class


There’s this one poem I wrote last year: I wrote it during a chemistry class. Don’t blame me, inspiration can be found anywhere, especially when you’re on the verge of falling asleep during an extremely boring chemistry class.

Since the class topic was putting me to sleep, I began thinking of that year’s summer I spent in Switzerland and it came to me in the form of poetry.

However, this poem is not written the way most poems are, or by following a specific poem structure. I’ve written it like an account of a few days in the country of Switzerland: what I saw, what I thought, which incidences I remembered and why.

And I happened to have found a picture from which I can directly associate this poem.



Here goes:

Sitting in a classroom,
Doing as I’m told,
My mind drifts off to,
The day I walked the bricked streets,
Of Zürich.
The day saw no sun,
Clouds hung low above in the sky.
I walked out of a store,
And I walked the length of the bridge.
That was a day,
When the green of my nails,
Matched the green of the nearest church.
It felt good,
In a funny way.
The green was bright,
The world felt right.
But as all things should,
The feeling was momentary.
We left Zurich,
And went to Bern.
Or was it the other way round?
Oh, I don’t remember.
The itinerary was important then,
Now only memories remain.
In Bern we met an old man,
Or maybe he wasn’t that old,
But a man old enough to,
Contemplate upon the future,
Of a country that wasn’t his own.
This fact stands out in my memory,
Pacifies me when I hate my kind.
My kind,
So selfish and so blind.
Bred in greed,
So fine.
Ingrained in each mind.
Regardless, I’d been in Bern before.
But memory has no mercy,
I inevitable forgot.
The Bern sky was blue,
The city was busy.
The Bärenpark housed bears,
Who do not look up at the curious visitors.
The Rosengarten was still there,
And I remembered the tale of the forgotten balloon.
A blessing from my forgotten memory.
If there’s one thing I can hope for,
It’s to never forgot the incredible view of,
The majestic mountains of the Swiss Alps,
Or the French.
It doesn’t matter,
For nature knows no boundaries.
Petty things, a creation of our kind.
Obsessing about possessions and,
Possessing some obsessions.
Oh, I tend to get carried away.
Our kind,
A cause for frequent rants within me.
For nature knows no boundaries,
The mountains are all majestic,
Showing off their snowy peaks,
In the blinding light of the,
Star that shines above us all.
Oh, look!
I’m in the class no more.
The bell which controls our lives,
Sounds loud and clear.
That’s my cue.

And, the one reason I really like this piece of work by me (not to brag) is that I get to relive all those moments again and in the very form I experienced them in the first go.

This post is for the Week 3 task of the Student Blogging Challenge by Edublogs, done for Week 4 (free choice task).

Comments

  1. Hi Mahikaa,
    WOW! That is a fantastic poem! I loved reading it. Your descriptions and the tone (feeling) that came out through your words really made me help visualize your experience and what you were feeling. There is some really deep meaning in your words. I see that you don't like chemistry much (and that's ok!), but do you like to write poetry? Have you written a lot of poems? My guess is yes, considering how good you are at writing.
    My name is Mrs. Calcagno and I am a 5th/6th grade teacher outside of Chicago, IL. My students are taking place in the blogging challenge also.
    Thanks for sharing your great poem. Have a wonderful day!
    Mrs. Calcagno

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Annual Whirr Of Excitement

The annual whirr of excitement, as I just quoted it. In simple words, the excitement/fear/anxious feelings among all of us on entering our first board year, grade 10. There’s this whirr of excitement. It’s there every year, it’s there this time too. Although, I must say people are kind of reluctant and nobody was actually excited because as each year passed, the difficulty level, knowingly or unknowingly, shot up. But we were also keen on freeing ourselves from grade 9 so, I guess ultimately, it was inevitable. *Shrugs her shoulders* Every year we’re excited about new books, friends, hopefully more likeable and lenient teachers than last time, which makes up for most part of our worries before we begin our one year journey and we also hope that this one turns out to be better than the last one. Is this whirr going to last? Well, its annual actually, it comes, stays for some time and leaves. It lasts mostly for two to three weeks until the newness of everything sinks amongst

On The Concept Of Random Capitalization (and standing out)

                                                                                      It’s unique. From what I know, it was introduced in John Green’s book, Paper towns in which the main protagonist, Margo Roth Spigelman believes in the concept of random capitalization. According to that, iT Is oKAy foR a sentTEnce tO Go LiKE this. Pretty cool right? It makes her stand out in the book because of her uncommon beliefs but how she justifies it seems just right. She thinks that the rules of capitalization are too unfair to the words in middle. Which is justified. Also, kind of extraordinary. Although, I must say, Microsoft Word wasn’t happy with my random capitalization, its red lines under the text. I believe that it is unique and actually good because what we’ve been doing is what has been done previously by others. And by simply following it, there’s not much that we’re doing to change things. I’ve seen some people do this and I feel it’s a way of standing ou