Skip to main content

On The Occasion Of World Poetry Day




The thing I love about poems is that they mostly have hidden meanings between the lines. Things that only poets can see. Truths that only poets know. No decipherer can ever interpret the exact meaning of a poem. Not because he’s incapable, but only because poems are supposed to make actual sense to only those who write them.

I haven’t read much poetry, in fact, you may say that I haven’t read any poetry at all if we’re talking about the famous poets. But poems really are extraordinary writings. They speak the language of truth. Spoken in such a deceiving manner that you don’t realize it at all, they might talk of feelings felt in the most realistic way possible. It isn’t laborious to sit down and read a poem, they’re that short. Rhyming in poems may sound like a thing for children’s poems but in reality, it piques everyone’s interest just as much.

We often find ourselves relating to the things we read in poems. Some lines tend to cast such a spell on us that it’s difficult to shake the feeling away. Poems are magical. They disguise the truth as verses so well which makes it almost impossible to figure it out.

If you think of it, strange ideas can strike you in the most unexpected places.
On this occasion of World Poetry Day, I thought I’d share the poem I wrote last.

And here it goes:

Be any rich man's son,
You are still flesh and blood.
Be the king of any realm,
You are still flesh and blood.
Be the common,
And you will still be flesh and blood.
So what sets us apart?
If not the riches we reap?
Blessed with a mind and blessed with a heart,
Vulnerable it may make you,
Still leaves you capable of tearing the world apart,
Or bring it together..
For it is your choices which define you.

(Friendly reminder: Poems don’t have to rhyme.)

On the day I wrote this, I was thinking about this poem by Robert Frost called ‘Fire and Ice.’ I’d been a little unsatisfied with the explanation that we’d been given in the school. And I was also constantly thinking how wrong we might have interpreted this poem or that ‘what if the poet meant the end of the world in either fire or ice (as given in the poem) in its literal sense?’

I wrote half of this poem while I was headed to my science class and the other half when I was sitting all by myself on my half - hour ride to school in the bus. It gets really tough to not think about things at a time when you can't note them down immediately. And that makes me fear I'd forget it. But nevermind.

I just said that most poems have hidden meanings in them which only make complete sense to the poet. But, honestly, I didn’t want to say anything specific by this poem. It came on its own. And I cannot find that one thing in my entire trail of thoughts which had me begin this poem. Which is incredibly frustrating because I can't follow my thoughts but also kind of relieving because I might’ve discarded those thoughts for the good.

By the way, this poem is still untitled. Suggestions are appreciated in the comments below.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On The Annual Whirr Of Excitement

The annual whirr of excitement, as I just quoted it. In simple words, the excitement/fear/anxious feelings among all of us on entering our first board year, grade 10. There’s this whirr of excitement. It’s there every year, it’s there this time too. Although, I must say people are kind of reluctant and nobody was actually excited because as each year passed, the difficulty level, knowingly or unknowingly, shot up. But we were also keen on freeing ourselves from grade 9 so, I guess ultimately, it was inevitable. *Shrugs her shoulders* Every year we’re excited about new books, friends, hopefully more likeable and lenient teachers than last time, which makes up for most part of our worries before we begin our one year journey and we also hope that this one turns out to be better than the last one. Is this whirr going to last? Well, its annual actually, it comes, stays for some time and leaves. It lasts mostly for two to three weeks until the newness of everything sinks amongst

On The Meaning Of Wisdom

What is the meaning of the word 'Wisdom'? Recently my nine (almost ten) year old sister asked me what is the meaning of the word ‘wisdom’? It took me sometime to figure out what meaning of wisdom would make sense to a fourth-grader. I mean, I knew the meaning all right, but somehow found it a little difficult to explain. Google says, the word ‘wisdom’ means the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement; the quality of being wise. And wise means having or showing experience, knowledge and good judgement. This was okay but somehow felt difficult for a child to understand. I tried to simplify it in my way. I told her that it is a kind of knowledge that one gains from experiences. I simplified it further by saying that you grow wiser with time and you gain wisdom towards a particular thing or happening which you experienced. A person cannot be called wise by his intelligence only. It requires experience to become wise. I also made sure to check